Ummmm, so I'm not very good at commitment as I have already blown my budget of $40 today which is going to have a long term effect ...
BUY:
$sum to be disclosed at a later date just in case the friends whose wedding present it is are reading!
WHY?
Suffice to say, it's more than my allowed rate but a necessary expense as their wedding was actually over a month ago and the present purchase was postponed along with their honeymoon - cos I was contributing to their experiences away. Now that the honeymoon is rebooked, I have had to pay for their present!
It hasn't come out of my account yet but means that I have to ensure the required amount is available when my card is charged! It reduces my budget to roughly $30 a day!
BUY:
$8.45 McDonalds. Again.
WHY?
Not really sure why I keep heading up to the food court when I know the only stuff there is completely unhealthy for me, and for the environment. There was a period in my life where I completely avoided Maccas on principle, not even using their bathroom on road trips. The principle being the environmental damage they add to - the clearing of large swathes of the Amazon rainforest to make way for cattle and soybean farming - the soybeans being used as part of the fattening up feed for chickens. Not to mention the waste and landfill added to through the consumption of their product.
Yet, here I am eating there nearly every day now. Sadly it seems that I only had principles when I had money. My excuse, as poor as I recognise it to be, is that sometimes it can be more expensive to buy socially responsible and environmentally conscious goods. Did I mention I'm not very good with commitment? I also recognise that it is also cheaper not to eat take away on a regular basis!
Today I am adding another good reason to the list to get my shit together - so I can put my money where my mouth is because these types of issues are important to me. I do suffer a feeling of cognitive dissonance when I sit down to eat.
Because using the expense excuse is weak and lazy so I am making a commitment today. Come next pay, I am going to do a shop that will account for lunches so that a) I'm saving on this account b) I'm saving global costs!


No comments:
Post a Comment