The beginning of the Queen's Birthday Long Weekend has started with a bang - to my bank account!
$100 - Dinner and drinks with an old school friend
$3.20 - Return train ticket
WHY?
About 10, or maybe more, months ago my parents went to lunch with old family friends, also attended by a former classmate of mine just recently back in Sydney, to whom they passed on my number. I wasn't aware of any of this until she called not long after the lunch and we made promises to catch up when we weren't busy etc... We finally caught up last night after months of text messages along the lines of:
A: Do you want to catch up for a drink this Friday evening?
Steff: Yes! I'm free. Sounds like a plan! I'm normally done at work by 6pm so can meet u from 630-7 depending on venue.
A: Hooray!!! I am living in [suburb] now so Kirribilli and surrounds suits. Be in touch on Friday :)
Steff: {on A's voicemail on said Friday morning} Really sorry to do this to you but I got a text late last night reminding me of a dinner party I am supposed to be at. Can we rearrange? Really keen to catch up!
A: Hey no worries about tonight. Sunday is potential. Can I confirm on the day? We will have that elusive drink oh yes we will :)
Steff: {on said Sunday} How u looking for today?
A: Hey Steff, no can do today after all. Let's be in touch sort something out for the next coming week.
A: {on Thursday} How about a drink tomorrow night?
Steff: Yes! I checked my diary and we're good from 7 if that suits you?
A: Excellent!!! Seven at Drink Better Wine (Miller St) for they have lovely wine (of course) & tasty food. I'll believe it when I see you ;)
She was right about the lovely wine and tasty food! Three large glasses of Negoce Shiraz (Heathcote, VIC), a serving of the pork belly, a cheese platter and Triple choc dessert later we stumbled out of the restaurant down the hill to A's place which has amazing views of the harbour, bridge and all. After sufficiently catching up on the last 14 years of each other's lives I left A's flat at about quarter past one in the morning, totally intending to catch up a cab, thinking that I had missed the last train home. But, thanks to my $2.49 investment in the TripView app for my iPhone somewhere through the fog of wine I had the sense to check the train schedule and catch the second last train of the evening/morning leaving 8 minutes later, saving myself a $40 taxi fare.
If you get a chance, Drink Better Wine in North Sydney is definitely worth a visit and the dessert platter is divine!
Earlier that day...
BUY:
$3.20 - train ticket
$2 - fresh panini
WHY?
To get to work and for lunch!

No comments:
Post a Comment