BUY:
$4 - train to Circular Quay
$5 - beer at Gaslight Inn on Oxford Street
$8 - bottle of San Pellegrino at Sailor's Thai in the Rocks
WHY?
Had I looked ahead to the long weekend, I probably would have arranged a trip away rather than housesitting, especially when I realised I had all three days rostered off work. Melbourne would have been my first preference. Luckily though, Melbourne came to me in the form of two very good friends, MB and Em.
Left to their own devices on Saturday, we met at the Opera Bar in the evening at my insistence because I wanted to see the lights on the Opera House, a big part of the Vivid Festival. A champers at the bar was followed by a meandering wander through the Rocks, trying to find a suitable somewhere to eat. Suitable meaning sufficient choices on the menu for my very vegetarian friends. The few we saw were fairly full, including Sailor's Thai which oddly enough had the menu for their 'canteen' kitchen out the front of their what we learnt was their more 'posh' establishment. This meant we sat down, ordered the water, opened the menu, were surprised by difference from what we had seen and so left! Having exhausted our options in the Rocks, a taxi ride to Oxford Street brought success! A bounty of fantastic dishes and a chef willing to be flexible on the ones that weren't previously strictly meat-free left us all sated!
As my two friends turned to me for recommendations for an after dinner beverage, I realised that Sydney doesn't really have any cool bars with large armchairs, mood lighting and minimal music where good friends can sit and chat the night away (unlike Melbourne where we are spoilt for choice). We tried the Gaslight on the way past but like so many things in Sydney, everywhere is bold, brash and loud! Last time MB and I met in Sydney, we shared a quiet drink at the Hilton. Hoping to repeat the experience we jumped a cab to George Street only to be sorely disappointed by the doof-doof heard on approach and the queue of not-quite-sober 20-somethings falling off heels too tall and out of dresses too short for the drinks obviously enjoyed! We did finally find a pub that would allow us a drink and a chat, provided you didn't mind watching the football from flat screens in every corner, before I ran for the last train of the evening having with plans to catch up the following day...
No comments:
Post a Comment