My good friend Scotty is a financial planner. He loves his job and he's damn good at it. He is director of a financial planning company called Money Mechanics which is all about 'creating wealth through understanding'. As well as providing advice on a fee for service basis, Scotty runs adult education programs, workshops and seminars to improve people's understanding of finance and financial strategies, empowering people in their financial affairs and therefore growing their wealth (that's right, isn't it Scotty?). And, very much in keeping with this philosophy, he let me know about a project he is involved with called 10thousandgirl.
I figure it best to let them speak for themselves so quoting from their website:
10thousandgirl is "a social business that aims to improve the financial literacy of 10,000 young Australian women to inspire them to pursue their life plan with a confidence and independence backed by financial security".
In the process, the women who get involved with 10thousandgirl contribute to the establishment of microbusinesses for and by women in the developing world. Yay - everyone benefits! They plan to do this through life planning workshops and personal finance programs which I am really keen to get involved with (provided I can swap a shift at work!) because their goal totally excites the humanitarian lefty-hippy in me while feeding that big part of me that loves learning. I realise that really learning about money; how to understand it and talk about it, how to use what I have and how to make it work for me is going to be the only way I can reach the goals that I am learning that I have to set for myself. In doing so, I might also be able to help other women who are starting with a hell of a lot less that I am.

No comments:
Post a Comment