Tuesday, 20 April 2010

PAY DAY

It shouldn't be but the day I look forward to most isn't Friday night or Saturday night, it isn't even my birthday - it's pay day.

It means I get to start living again. That seems like a strong statement but sadly, it's true. For about a week, or however long the money that I have left after I pay my rent, my credit card and others bills lasts me, I can go out and enjoy myself.... Pay day is such a big event on my calendar that I even try to plan social events around it cos at least I know I'll be able to pay my own way. The best things in life at the moment haven't been free...

I actually get two pay days a month... one is a fixed amount and the second waivers depending on how busy we are at work (and which is always easier when volcanoes aren't erupting...)

The uncertainty  of my second pay check (which comes three weeks after the first and never a day too early) means that I rely on the first one for all my fixed costs and these came up on Monday so here's the list:

BUY: RENT - $1086

WHY? Cos I get to live with my best friend, and his best friend and have you seen the views?


BUY - $31 for a 14 day train ticket between Chatswood and the city


WHY? Because I choose to rely on Sydney's not-so-reliable public transport system. Because I choose not to own a car. In the long run I believe I am saving money and doing a small bit to help the environment. It makes getting around challenging at times and also explains taxi costs!

BUY - $63.22 phone bill

WHY?  It's not normally this much, in fact I rarely hit my cap! I've recently changed from pay-as-you-go to contract (and scored my new and exciting iPhone) so the first month isn't really a month so much as a first 6 weeks as I get into the swing of the plan.

BUY - $43 Sponsor child

WHY?
I am in the wealthiest 5.2% of people in the world. There are 6,259,850,885 (more than 6.2 billion) people less wealthy than me. I am 43 times wealthier than a billion people. (A billion people earn less than $856 a year). I live in a country that has political, economic and social infrastructure, is free from war and more than enough natural resources to support its population.

1 comment:

  1. Rebekah Flaherty23 April 2010 at 20:02

    I love your new blog - all the motivation you need to be a good saver. I can save you some ££ by having you crash at my place when you're in London (whether or not I'm here!)!

    ReplyDelete