After such a ridiculously decadent and expensive month, it's time to get serious about saving. Again. Still? Whatever...
I would love a "Buy Nothing" month but that is unrealistic. By comparison, the Salvos' "Buy Nothing New Month" seems like a very achievable and worthy challenge. It works with my attempts to get back to my inner-city hippy, environmentally-conscious roots (lost somewhere over the Pacific in 2009 flying from London to Sydney while also leaving a rather large carbon footprint).
As the "borrowed" banner says basically I'm going to Buy Nothing New this month. The idea being that I beg, borrow, barter, buy second-hand or swap what I need this month. I'm also thinking that this would include repair, re-use or recycle whatever it is I may need as long as it's not new, with the reasonable exceptions of food, drink, medications and hygiene products. This way I am helping not only myself and my wallet but engaging in sustainable behaviour and not contributing to our largely disposable and wasteful consumer society. For this month at least.
I was a lot better at this when I lived in the same city/country as my best friend! We used to swap books, unwanted make-up and toiletries and sometimes clothes (even though we share different tastes and sizes!) but 4 days into the month I'm doing okay having only bought food, today included:
I was a lot better at this when I lived in the same city/country as my best friend! We used to swap books, unwanted make-up and toiletries and sometimes clothes (even though we share different tastes and sizes!) but 4 days into the month I'm doing okay having only bought food, today included:
BUY:
$8.90 - ham and cheese toastie
WHY?
Lunchtime meeting with my boss to discuss the team's and my future. It's exciting....
I am thinking I might face a challenge towards the end of the month when my first niece or nephew is born...

Not spending too much on baby gifts is hard, but why don't you make something? Beg or borrow craft materials, ask clever friends who know how to operate sewing machines to make or embroider things for minimal cost (a $2 terry bib or $5 grow-suit becomes something cute and personal), or create an artwork or mobile. Or you could rummage through 2nd hand book shops for perfect condition copies of your favourite childhood books.
ReplyDeleteNot to encourage unnecessary spending on yourself, but the next "Round She Goes" preloved fashion market for women in 17 October in Melbourne. http://roundshegoes.com.au/RoundSheGoes/Welcome.html
When: Sunday 17 October 2010
doors open at 10am and close at 3pm
Where: Kingston City Hall (formerly Moorabbin Town Hall)
979 Nepean Highway, Moorabbin, VIC 3189
Melways Ref: 77 D5
entry: $2 and there is free parking
Keep up the good saving!
J
There is nothing wrong with secondhand gifts as long as they are the "perfect" gift for the person. I think you'll do ok with your new niece/nephew. :)
ReplyDelete