Saturday, 20 November 2010

Pay an honest tithing...

BUY:

$48 - monthly sponsorship to Sabita from Bangladesh
$36 - payment towards her Christmas card and a bit extra to support World Vision

WHY?

As mentioned, my take on the whole tithing business is donating to charity.

I know I am said it before but based on my earnings, I am in the richest <1% of the world's population and my income is more than 41 times that of the typical person. Embarrassingly enough, I don’t give anywhere near 10% of my earnings to charity (which even non-religious people seem to suggest is the charitable thing to do!) which would still leave me with an income 37 times that of the typical person. But, I give where I can because somewhere out there is someone scrounging for food and basics I take for granted and I guess I sleep a little better at night knowing that despite my hedonism and selfishness one person might be able to benefit through education and in turn help others. 

BUY:

$62.75 - Ticket to JK's Safari Soiree

WHY?

To support her Climb for a Cure and fundraising for Cure Cancer Australia.

Cure Cancer is a charity which provides seed funding to young researchers seeking treatments/cures for cancer. Once such researcher was in attendance, Hilda, who gave us a rundown of her work paid for by Cure Cancer. I don't know how to describe what keeps her busy but hope is successful! I doubt that there are many people who haven't been affected by cancer in some way - either personally as the statistics of the chances of developing some form of cancer are chilling, through the loss of a loved one or supporting someone else living through treatment - and for this reason this is most definitely a charity worth getting behind.  

With all the effort JK had gone to with organising amazing African food, drinks, Three Minute Angels, awesome drummers (and dance teachers), a not-so-silent auction thanks to the emcee who managed to convince everyone to part out with more money even if they still held the winning bid for some awesome prizes, it was a fantastic night! Especially as I got to catch up with friends I hadn't seen for ages!
But it's wrong that I spent more on my hair cut and outfit in anticipation of the night isn't it?

BUY:

$29.95 - African animal print dress for the Soiree
$185 - hair cut and colour by the very talented Jade who makes me feel like a million dollars when I walk out of her salon.
$15 - taxi - to get from the train station to the venue

No comments:

Post a Comment