Thursday, 9 September 2010

Team building...

As you can see from the photos, I had a weekend on the Gold Coast which was between 13 - 15 August...

There were not many out of pocket expenses because the trip was courtesy of work. However, I wouldn't describe this necessarily as 'free' because this was the reward for many hours of hard work by the rest of the work crew and I for the previous financial year. Others may argue that I'm splitting hairs though because I didn't have to pay for the flights, the accommodation, dinner on both nights, the car hire, entry in to Dreamworld....

Dear reader, you're probably now asking what on earth did I pay for to justify a posting?!

Friday night:

BUY: Ear plugs - $7
WHY? Just in case... I was sharing a room after all and I say never leave home without them.

BUY: Train ticket to the airport - $10
WHY? It was the fastest way to get there from work. In my view the airport line is too expensive. $10 is the student/concession rate and the adult I believe is about $15 - $16... all for about 3 stops from Wynyard. And they wonder why it's under-utilised? I have been to a number of airports around the world and relied on public transport to deliver me in a timely fashion - Sydney is by far the most expensive and it is also one of the shortest train rides from the airport to the city out of many of the airports I am thinking of: Amsterdam, Barcelona, Rome to name a few. Each of which from memory were only a few euro...

BUY: Book at airport: $34.99

WHY?
Because I couldn't face a 2 hour flight to Brisbane without something to read. Honestly, having time on my hands and nothing to read is my idea of cruel and unusual punishment. The problem is though that the airport is the most expensive place to book shop and I am such a quick reader that the fun is over too quickly and I really don't get value for money. While it was an okay book and engaged me, it wasn't $35 well spent I am afraid to say.



BUY: Bottle of water - $3.99.
WHY? Thirst overruled my usual dislike of purchasing bottled water. Sydney water is some of the best tasting in Australia and I don't see the point in buying water when the stuff out of the tap is okay. But, standing on Central Station there were no bubblers and I really couldn't wait.

Saturday:

BUY: $5 tip to the waitress at Shuck Seafood Restaurant in Main Beach.
WHY? We all threw in to tip her because her service was excellent, she put up with all of us for the entire evening.

We decided to go somewhere 'nice' for dinner to spoil ourselves and Shuck was recommended to us by someone-or-other. I am so glad we listened. The food wasn't just nice, it was divine. We all did a bit of a taste test of everyone else's dishes - my entree was the Charcuterie Plate comprising a number of meats which I can't pronounce, followed by the eye fillet. Not exactly seafood but the others did enjoy the restaurant's namesake, as well as B. ordering the carpaccio of tuna, kingfish and ocean trout. Not being one for raw foods, I was hesitant to try it but wow! I'm glad I did because packed with flavour and texture.

BUY: $10 cover charge to Elsewhere, a night club on Cavill Avenue, $20 or so in drinks as well as a $10 contribution to our newies' taxi ride home because they were calling it a night early!
WHY? Not wanting to call it a night, our waitress had recommended this 'alternative' club called Elsewhere. It started well but when the music changed to stuff us oldies didn't recognise, we wandered the block or so to our rooms at Q1 for a drink or two...

Sunday:

BUY: Breakfast croissant and coffee - $9.20, lunch at south bank – $8.50, petrol and parking $5
WHY? We blew the budget with Saturday's dinner so we had to fend for ourselves on Sunday! Feeling that we had experienced all the Gold Coast had to offer we drove back up to Brisbane (where we were flying from), via South Bank for lunch in the sun. It's such a great part of Brisvegas and I love that everyone - families, friends, couples - heads there to enjoy the markets, restaurants, little beach and of course, the sun!

Team bonding (minus me...cos I'm chicken!)

No comments:

Post a Comment